As we continue 50 Days of Standing in the Gap, we are praying for our nation, for its leaders, and for the upcoming presidential election. We are intentionally praying and fasting, knowing that God hears our prayers. We’re also internalizing each of the six Measures as we encourage one another and spur one another on towards Christ.
Our fourth measure is the question, "Is my passport current?
In looking at 2 Timothy this morning, four thoughts jumped out at us:
I. Run from (vs. 22a; 23)
- Selfish ambition and arrogance.
- Godless chatter and quarreling.
II. Run to (vs. 22b; 24-26)
- Righteousness...right standing before God.
- Faith…ability to trust God
- Love, peace, kindness, patience
- Gently (but firmly) sharing the truth.
IV. Result (vs. 21)
- You will be useful to the master.
- You will be ready for every good work.
As you reflect this week and internalize this measure consider the questions:
- Am I set apart by God? And do I want to be sent out from Shades on Mission?
- Do I go and share the Gospel in my city, state, nation, and around the world?
- Do I spend time with people who are not like me, pursuing gospel-centered unity in diversity?
Here are some other Scripture passages to aid you in your reflection: Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:14-15; Galatians 3:28; Ephesians 4:1-6
As you pray and fast this week, we encourage you to pray and intercede for the following;
Personal: Pray that God would stir up our hearts with a desire for people of every tribe, tongue, nation, and language to know the good news of Jesus Christ and that people from our church would be transformed people sent out to influence the world for Christ.
Nation: Pray that we would look forward to a better city and a better country. The gospel promises believers a world where sorrow, pain and death have been eradicated and where our tears have been wiped away. Pray that we would recognize that our citizenship is in heaven and that we long for new creation with all of our hearts.
For supplemental resources, prayer prompts, and to learn more about fasting, go to www.shades.org/measures.