Here at Shades, sixth graders are given some excellent opportunities to grow as disciples in Christ and prepare for a life defined by mission as they enter their student years. For information on the great ministry opportunities for sixth graders, read below.
Elevate is Shades' sixth grade Wednesday night worship time. Come and join us for some dodgeball in our Community Life Center, a quick snack, and some brief teaching followed by small groups. The goal of Elevate is to create an environment where sixth graders can feel welcome and connect with other sixth graders. Here's our weekly format:
- 6:00-6:15: Arrive at the CLC
- 6:15-6:45: Large Group Games
- 6:45-7:00: Snack Time (CLC Dining Room)
- 7:00-7:15: Topical Teaching Time
- 7:15-7:30: Small Group Discussion
- 7:30: Dismiss from Student Building
For more information contact our Associate Minister to Children & Preteens, Jeremy Horton.
Kid's Worship Choir
Sixth graders who wish to continue participation in choir on Wednesdays may do so with Kid's Worship Choir which takes place during the recreational part of Elevate on Wednesday nights from 6:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. Kids who participate in KWC will not miss the teaching time in Elevate but will join the sixth graders after choir is over. For more information on Kid's Worship Choir click this link.
6th Grade Mission Trip: July 16th-20th, 2018
The Sixth Grade Mission Trip is one of the most anticipated trips in the children's ministry. At the culmination of their sixth grade year, students are given the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Seeker Springs; a camp located in West Monroe, La., to help put on a day camp for underprivileged children. The camp is owned and operated by our GIC missionaries, Terry and Tammy Slawson.
The Sixth Grade Mission Trip is an opportunity for our students to take on leadership roles as they put into practice all that they have learned from their time in the children's ministry. The trip is a very powerful experience and one that changes both the lives of the day camp children as well as those who participate.
Because the Sixth Grade Mission Trip is such a large responsibility, some requirements are in place to ensure that our sixth graders are preparing for this opportunity and are walking with Jesus each and every day. These requirements are listed below.
- Student must have a minimum of 50% attendance in Sunday School
- Student must assist with Children's Worship at least 8 times.
- Student must attend 3 of 4 training meetings (TBA)
- Student must participate in sixth grade D-groups (see below) OR complete a Bible Study booklet provided by children's staff (TBA)
- Student must have made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ.
*Exceptions made on case-by-case basis.
Other Important Information
- The first interest and information meeting will take place of February 7th, 2018. If you are a parent who is interested in coming on the trip with your child please plan on attending this meeting with them.
- Cost of the trip is $275.00 per person. The full balance for the trip is due by July 1st, 2018.
For any questions regarding the 6th Grade Mission Trip please contact our Minister to Children/Preteens, Stephanie Hartsell.
6th Grade DGroups
Discipleship groups are an integral part of our church's culture and identity. In fact, one of our core values as a church is for every disciple to be growing in their walk with Jesus. This is fostered primarily through what we call DGroups.
Sixth graders at Shades have the unique opportunity to experience this small group discipleship as they prepare to enter the student ministry. Groups are made up of peers who learn the basic principles of Christian living and how young men and women can walk with Jesus every day. They will also be introduced to accountability and it's importance for disciples of Christ.
For more information on DGroups and how to get your sixth grader involved contact our Children's Ministry staff: