Posted in From the Pastor | By Chad Cossiboom | Posted on Wed Sep 23, 2020
In this week's video update to our church family, Chad tackles some safety protocols that make a big difference in our time together on Sundays, highlights our decision to adopt McElwain Baptist Church, and tells us about an exciting new staff change. Take a look!
Posted in Uncategorized | By Jordan Cox | Posted on Tue Sep 22, 2020
It was such a joy to welcome many of you back to campus for the first time on Sunday, Sept. 13! It was a great reminder of the value of living in community. Take a minute and check out our recap video below!
Posted in Children | By Sarah Kent | Posted on Wed Sep 16, 2020
I'm reminded of how God has designed His church to function, working together to serve one another. One important way this happens is in worship care. Taking care of our preschoolers on Sunday mornings allows for many parents to get a much needed break to meet with God in the service, but it also begins planting vital seeds of the Gospel in the lives of our kids.
I get volunteering can seem like a big commitment, though. But don't just take it from me, take it from those who are impacted by this ministry. We have stories below from Grace Johnson, who felt a desire to serve at Shades and found preschool ministry; Denise Black and Kat Powell, who talk about generational service; and Josh Clarke, who encourages us to be the church, and that taking care of babies is actually way more than taking care of babies. Take a look!
Posted in From the Pastor | By Danny Wood | Posted on Wed Sep 16, 2020
This past Sunday was such an exciting morning; it was such a joy to see more of your smiling eyes on campus! This Sunday night, we'll have important churchwide vote on next steps in our possible relationship with McElwain Baptist Church, and we also have a great next five weeks in our study of the book of Job!
Posted in From the Pastor | By Danny Wood | Posted on Wed Sep 9, 2020
We begin our new Sunday schedule this weekend, and with this change comes expanded ministry happening at Shades! In today's update, Pastor Danny covers our new schedule details, provides an update on McElwain Baptist Church, and encourages all of us to get involved by volunteering. Take a look!
Posted in From the Pastor | By Danny Wood | Posted on Wed Sep 2, 2020
We have a different worship schedule this Sunday in observance of Labor Day, ongoing conversations with McElwain are progressing, and we have volunteer needs in advance of our next phase of our Better Together plans coming Sept. 13. It's all covered in this week's update. Take a look!
Posted in From the Pastor | By Danny Wood | Posted on Wed Aug 26, 2020
The calendar is nearly to September, and we have many exciting things happening here at Shades. To hear all about them, check out this week’s video update!
Posted in Missions | By Tim Wheat | Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2020
What moment has changed your life? For some the first thing that comes to mind is your wedding day or the birth of a child. For others, it might be a loss of some sort or an unexpected incident. Our lives are a series of moments that influence and shape who we are. As we continue our evangelistic emphasis of ONE Month, we have the opportunity to create a moment that could not only change a life, it could literally change their eternity. Just as Philip stepped into a moment with the Ethiopian eunuch which changed his life (Acts 8:26-38), you have that opportunity as well. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of a moment like that!
This week, would you step into a moment for the sake of the gospel? Many of you share the gospel on a regular basis, so this is second nature to you. However, others will feel a little awkward and uncomfortable and will avoid these moments. Don’t let those feelings prevent you from a special moment. ONE moment is about being a blessing to someone that can then lead to the gospel. To help you make the most of ONE moment, please consider the suggestions below:
- Prepare by picking up a card or writing a note of encouragement to be able to hand to someone. A suggested script could be:
- My name is “first name.” Everyone could use a blessing these days, and I just wanted to pass along a little blessing to you. Your life matters. You were created by a loving God for a purpose. Not sure what kind of day you are having, but I am praying for you. I would love to encourage you in a relationship with Jesus by inviting you to join me at my church, Shades Mountain Baptist Church. www.shades.org.
- If possible, consider picking up a gift card for $5-10 to a coffee shop or sandwich place and include it in the card.
- Ask God to give you courage and sensitivity to create a conversation at some point this week.
- Determine a place and time where you will be intentional in starting a conversation. For example, this may be when you go to the grocery store. Instead of going through the self-check-out lane, go through a lane with workers. It could be a gas station and instead pay-at-the-pump, go inside to pay to interact with the person working. Or, it could be at your ONE Place.
- Step into the moment by introducing yourself and move the conversation to the point of saying, “I just want to pass along a little encouragement” and give them the note. If they ask what this is for, then simply say what is in the card but see this as opportunity to talk more about the ONE by saying something like, “I am so thankful for my relationship with Jesus and I am wanting others to know him as well. If you have a moment, I would love to share with you about what Jesus means to me.”
- If they say they don’t have time, then say, “No problem, nice to meet you, and may God bless you.” Say a prayer for them. Write their name down. Go back another time and look for them again to have more conversations.
- If they say, “sure” then briefly share when you asked you Jesus into your life and what he has provided for you (i.e. hope, guidance, love, eternal life, etc).
- Then ask if they would like to have Jesus in their life? If they say, “not now”, go back to #5.
- If they say, “yes” then lead them through a prayer of forgiveness of sins, surrender to Jesus, and guidance for their life. Be sure and celebrate them and invite them to church.
- Then go back to #5.
- We would love to know if you had a “ONE moment” this week, so please text “one moment” to (205) 749-7244 and follow the prompt.
Posted in Uncategorized | By Chad Cossiboom | Posted on Wed Aug 19, 2020
You've done an amazing job stay connected and invested in the mission here at Shades in this season. There are ways you can continue to join in what God is doing here. In this week's update, Chad walks us through some exciting updates we have coming!
Posted in From the Pastor | By Danny Wood | Posted on Wed Aug 12, 2020
These are great days at Shades! We're thick in the middle of our ONE Month emphasis, there are exciting new details of our Better Together plan coming in September, and we have a new sermon series launching this weekend. Take a look!